Sunday, October 08, 2006

Nature's beauty

We just had the most beautiful walk. I was inspired today by a blog from a yahoo friend. She talked about a book called Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature Defecit Disorder. Her review was so good that I am buying the book. I feel like my children have not had enough experience leanring about nature. I've been afraid, I'll admit it. To take my children someplace that is unknown, that could be uncomfortable, that would be dirty. But We Will. I want them to feel the same joy I feel when I watch an animal in its home or discover a plant that is fuzzy or watch how the water is affected by the bugs. As the weather has gotten cooler, my itch for the outdoors has grown steadily stronger. I have this yearning. We didn't go camping that much this year and I so wish we could go every weekend until the frost. I'm so looking forward to our Thanksgiving campout where we can share in that together with our family. Anyway, back to our walk. We went to this park that has some nature trails and despite it being pretty close to the road it was really quiet and peaceful. We went off the trail and found a place where the rocks had made a little place that we could walk and throw walks. Who knew that kids like to throw rocks so much?? My next project is to start collecting fishing gear. We watched some people fish at the park yesterday and my children were so intrigued. We would all love to be able to fish on our trips together. I'm also really glad Dave is on board because he gets even more concerned about cleanliness than I. Hopefully, we can break out of our sterility and find some peace in the dirt and the chaotic order of the trees.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Child-Woods-Children-Nature-Deficit/dp/1565125223/sr=8-1/qid=1160348406/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-7577873-9848845?ie=UTF8&s=books

No comments: