Friday, March 28, 2008

Treading water

So, I'm keepin my head up just kind of trying to stay above the surface and....well let's just say an eight tentacled beast came and ripped me down. The eight tentacles would be: two papers and an exam due tomorrow and Mon respectively, a household of six (I include myself because if I don't who will?), a baby shower that I am participating in, also tomorrow, and a garden, house, car, etc that needs care and attention (ok so that' s more than eight but I don't know of any thousand tentacled animals). Not to mention VT, neighbors to visit, scriptures to study blah, blah, blah. Anyone ever feel like they are just not focused? Can you say, "Mimi has wicked ADD this week" I should be working on my paper right now. It about women and how the name themselves, what roles they choose and what roles are forced upon them. Somehow this ties in to my life but I can't sort it all out. I can't even make connections, I'm so tired. In my long list, which is good, better, best. How do I decided what is most important each moment? Poop has to be cleaned, I'm sorry but it takes priority. My son whose been home sick for three days, he's important too. Not to mention I haven't had any sleep.....See how I digress. The list, oh the list. It goes on forever. Its funny that I'm not broken. In the past, there have been times I have completely fallen apart. I feel pretty at peace, tired, but at peace. I think there is power in recognizing some things. First, I did read my scriptures today, I walked with the Lord this morning and that set me off right. Next, I chose to go to institute to be spiritually fed. This too lifts me up above despair. Then tonight, I asked my husband for help! It immediately made me feel better. He can't do my schoolwork but he can help me with the food I need to bring tomorrow for the shower. He can help with the kids in the morning. I asked him to be there for me and HE WAS.

So, this leads into (remember I have ADD today). ...We were watching Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End tonight. Toward the end of the movie, Elizabeth and Will are fighting together on the Black Pearl. He asks her to marry him right there in the middle of the chaos. They are dancing on the ship, fighting together, as equals. I had this moment of Aha! That's what I want right there. That kind of relationship. It may sound a little hokey but I don't relate well to some other kinds of love stories. Elizabeth Swann is a pirate, what's not to like about that as a woman. But not only is she a good pirate, she's a good leader. She stands up at one point and inspires the pirates to go to war and Will is looking up at her with such love and admiration. That is how is should work. Often I feel that in my own marriage (although we could use some more work). Dave has that same respect for me and I often don't appreciate it. I don't know that I have a point, except maybe that I'm grateful my husband went to Walmart for me tonight. I'm grateful he never makes me feel less than him, or unworthy to share in the things his income brings. He never cuts me down or picks on me. He supports me in going to school, for my own sake. He values me in a way I don't even know if I understand. I wish every woman could have that kind of love.

9 comments:

Stine said...

I'm so proud of you for keeping your light shining as you tread. You aren't losing hope or focus. You just keep on treading. Those days can be rough and it is easy to fall apart. You will make it through and there will be a day when you will have a nap. And then you'll get up and do more ('cause you're not a girl who stays down very long!).

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

The Gallands said...

I love you! Always a good attitude no matter what. I don't think you realize what a light that is to others- it absolutely is to me!!!

Sharee said...

This post was beautiful! Is there anything I can do? I could make dinner for you or, well, just anything! You have such a strong testimony and such a positive attitude - it is just amazing! I had to share what you said about your husband to MY husband because it was beautiful. I was going to bring you bread, but our car broke down and so I didn't have a car and then the bread got too old. But I promise to bring a loaf next time I make it!

jenhatch said...

amen. I did a simliar rant a few weeks ago, mine being actually "drowning" and not problems with a tentacled beast... but all the same. We both needed a breather!! SO great that we have husbands that when we say HELP, as quiet or as loud as it may be... they come to our aid. It makes all things better for me.

k, I'll help you take one off your list... considered that post you visiting teaching me! Seriously. That inspired me (is that the right word for it?!?!) in the fact that it helps to hear others that have a million things going on - all good things - and trying to make the good, better and best choices. You amaze me Mimi... and yeah! for the shower being over!

iloveyou!

jenhatch said...

p.s. - what do I got to do to make your "friends and family" link list?!?

I KNOW you read me! ;)

Unknown said...

I'm so touched that you all commented! Thanks for loving me. You guys are awesome.

Mandi said...

Mimi...all I can say is I think all mothers can relate to this. I feel the same way everyday.

kirsten said...

I'm back from my grand trip abroad and am ready to add my wisdom: though I have trouble relating to your post because, as you know, my life always runs smoothly and I always have things perfectly under control...

i think the name of the thousand tentacled beast is "motherhood."

i would recommend a trip away, to say London perhaps...but be warned, I returned to potato chips and sprite IN MY BED! In other words, the chaos I returned to made me wonder if going away was the answer...

as you can see i really haven't offered anything, but since i'm posting late I assume you've kicked the beast's ass once more, because you rock!

Jenn Kirk said...

I seriously think you are supermom.