Saturday, April 12, 2008

I've got a screw loose

I am addicted to my bike. I don't know why it didn't happen before. Maybe babies, maybe cold weather. Maybe I just wasn't ready to take on that childhood part of me yet. But I love it. Well, on my ride today I noticed I was having trouble steering. At first it was just a little. Then I thought, "Wow, the handle bars adjust. Who knew?" Then I realized I couldn't steer at all because the little screw holding my handle bars in place was coming out! I got off the bike and walked a few blocks, then I said to myself "Forget this" and I hopped back on. I was feeling mighty dangerous as I raced down hill without access to my brakes wildly holding on to the loose handlebars that wouldn't stay straight. So, my title is more or less literal....and figurative.

1 comment:

kirsten said...

That handlebar thing happened to me on the George Washington Parkway Bike path once, unfortunately right at a spot where it almost converges with a particularly busy portion of the road (and I was going downhill, of course). That was a literally white-knuckle experience - I had NO control over steering! I offered up one of my more desperate and sincere prayers, and happened to survive...