Saturday, May 03, 2008

Flippin' Sweet

So, bike riding has fast become one of my favorite forms of excercise. I love the thrill of charging up a hill and of course racing down one at top speed. My sister generously :) gave me her old worn out gloves as my first item of bike paraphenalia (they are awesome and I am grateful because they really help). So, I load up my bike the other day and I set out to get my Sunday paper at Kroger and look for new trails. I think I'm so cool. I wear the new gloves, I put on Jared's helmet because I don't have one yet (it says Wahoo on the side). I am feeling really biker looking. I ride up to Kroger, go inside with said helmet and gloves still on, grab my paper and head back to my bike. Then head out to look for a new place to ride. I'm driving along and I look over at the long string of windows I'm passing and nearly fell off my bike! I wanted to just pee my pants I was laughing so hard. Can you believe I went out in public looking like this?? I decided that being a biker (in my case) so does not qualify as COOL. However, it still qualifies as good excercise, fun and a little taste of freedom. Just as long as I don't take myself too seriously.



On to the most interesting bike ride I've had thus far. Mylittle nearly 40 lb 3 year old loves to ride on the seat on the back of my bike. It is obviously intended for kids like my even littler 1 year old. However, I indulge him thinking it is good for me to work those legs. So, tonight was a just amazingly cool and beautiful evening and I needed to burn a bunch of calories that I stocked up on while I was studying for finals. I load up Wes and we go. The great news is that I made it 5 miles this time. That's a record for me. I was so excited that I could trudge my big ole' bottom up the biggest hill I've tried yet and went farther than I have before. So, while I'm attacking said hill, Wesley is keeping me company in the back. This was some seriously good entertainment. First,
"Mommy, I like to excercise. It feels good."
"Really," I say, "Are you getting good excercise right now."
Big sigh, "Yeah, I'm good excercising"
Fast forward the top of said hill, where the sidewalk runs out and we turn around and I take a break. I was standing next to the bike having a drink of water and he says,
"Whew, that was hard work"
Imagine my surprise that he was feeling very worked out back there in the little seat. Then as we were passing cars he would say things like, "That truck fell off the tires." and "I like those little cars" I got a running commentary on the birds and the enjoyment of the all that hard work. Then, a bug flew into my ear. I swatted it away and told Wesley what had happened.
"Well, mommy, I can get that out for you."
"Really," I say, encouraging him.
"I can get it out with a pair of scissors, I'll just cut the bug. I won't even hurt your ear, I promise."
Needless to say, no one is going anywhere near my ear with scissors, however I feel better knowing that if there were a bug emergency in my ear, Wesley could get it out without even cutting my ear.

6 comments:

Jenn Kirk said...

Hehehe, thanks for sharing the cute stories. From you being so "cool" in your biker get-up to Wesley wanting to cut bugs out of your ear, LOL.

The Gallands said...

You are cool as a biker! I promise. People are staring at you just WISHING it was them! (just a thought though...take off the WAHOO helmet BEFORE going into Kroger)

Mandi said...

You are so awesome Mimi. Good for you, I think it a great hobby and I wish had the time and ability to do it too. You are definately a cool biker chick! I love it.

Sharee said...

HAHA! This was a GREAT story! What a cute little boy you have. Congrats on biking, and getting some well earned outside time. I am leaving for Idaho, but GOOD LUCK ON YOUR FINALS!!

Carrie said...

Oh you're cool all right. You wanna know why? 'cause you're "just doing it!"

Go you!

Let's ride together sometime.

jenhatch said...

TOTALLY funny! And you really are COOL! I feel the same way when I got all of my gear on! I just need to do it more often....sigh... thanks for the encouragement!