
After our scavenger hunt, the bus took us to La Marsa for what we thought was going to be class on the beach. When we arrived it was raining a misty rain and it was chilly. The Mediterranean doesn't really begin to get warm until June and the beach didn't look very inviting. The rest of the group opted to go back to the hotel but Heidi, David, Stephanie, Jack and I stayed behind to explore. It was one of my favorite days. We walked along the beach talking and feeling the wind and listening to the ocean. It was all very romantic and beautiful. As we were walking along the beach we saw a couple between two houses under an umbrella kissing. I had a very exotic romantic movie moment watching the couple and imagining.

The picture above is in the neighborhood streets that we ended up wandering aimlessly. The city was very quiet (it was Sunday afternoon) and the rain was cool. We talked about all kinds of interesting things and had some good discussion on the merits of waiting to have sex before you are married. I was trying at least to offer a perspective different from theirs. I enjoyed their company immensely. We walked until Heidi got a piece of glass in her foot. We found a very nice restaurant where we went and sat down. We all looked like wet, stray dogs and no waiters even acknowledged our presence but we got the glass out of Heidi's foot and headed over to a place called Route 66.

This pic is Heidi and Jack at Route 66. I have never been to a Hooka bar/tea house before. In fact, I felt a little out of place but I enjoyed being warm, having some hot tea and just chilling out talking. We were all grateful to be drying off a bit and they all smoked Hooka (or shisha as it is called in Tunisia). The smoke was very thick and I started to feel woozy so they graciously left with me. I loved this day. I loved being seperated from our guide and being free to wander a little. We were in a big enough group that we felt safe and these guys were the core of the group I hung with most of the time. I am feeling quite nostalgic for this place today. Its funny that as I get more distance from the trip I find more feelings associated with it. It was an amazing ride. A collection of memories that I will treasure for the rest of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment