Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Free Will

"it is proper for a creator to be optimistic, in the deepest, most basic sense, since the creator believes in a benevolent universe and functions on that premise. But it is an error to extend that optimism to other specific men. First, it's not necessary, the creator's life and the nature of the universe do not require it, his life does not depend on others. Second, man is a being with free will; therefore, each man is potentially good or evil, and its up to him and only to him (through his reasoning mind) to decide which he wants to be. The decision will affect only him; it is not (and cannot and should not be) the primary concern of any other human being."

Ayn Rand

I have been pondering this quote today and yesterday. It is a wonderful summary of agency, and I believe integrity. She talks about how the creator's life (or ours) does not depend on others. In many of her books that is a theme that dependance on others, emotionally, spiritualy or physically is very.....parasitic. I believe this is true. I believe that true self reliance is a core inside a human being that has a connection between him/herself and God. This connection defines who we are, who we want to be, who we ought to be. When we are dependant on others for our self esteem, our self respect or our self image we are making them responsible for our actions and feelings. The more control and more confidence we have in our ourselves and God the less we desire this control of others. Its interesting to me that it is a bit of an oxymoron. We should not be dependant upon others, however it is necessary to be with others in order to be successful in life. I think at the center of this is Jesus Christ. Whatever it is, joy, shame, guilt, sadness, this is between me and Him. Ayn Rand doesn't state that specifically and I don't think she was a religious person, but I really agree with her philosophy. She very eloquently puts into words this distinction of agency and choice. Our choices, all of them, are ultimately between us and Him. What we do affects others, yes, and we should consider these things. However, what is right and wrong, that is only a choice for one individual. You cannot choose for me what is right and wrong. I cannot choose between these for someone else. Free will is one of the greatest gifts to mankind. This is one of the greatest acts of love from our Heavenly Father, to choose. The more I understand my own choices, how they have affected me, how they affect others, I become more effective in all my relationships because it isn't about them. It isn't what someone else did to me, said to me, etc etc. Its about me, what do I choose to do or say? What kind of person do I want to be?

No comments: