Tuesday, October 17, 2006

"The Heart of Life"

"You know, it's nothing new
Bad news never had good timing
But then, the circle of your friends
Will defend the silver lining.

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No it won't all go the way it should
But I know the heart of life is good."

John Mayer

I got this cd for my birthday. It is so poignant and peaceful. The music is very soothing to the soul. I am really enjoying delving into another John Mayer cd. He has such a thoughtful contemplative voice. Jared said in the car today "I love his voice!" It really is like an herbal tea for the spirit. Anyway, it really touched me the idea that the "heart of life is good." I think in daily life we forget. We forget that the people we love are good, the people we work with are good. In general, there are only a handful of people I've ever been around in my life that I thought "these people are really evil or bad." I also believe that we often discount simple moments. There are times that are just easy and fun and happy. They aren't long drawn out large events. The heart of life is in the quiet moments with the scriptures or listening to a child read a book or even something silly or a joke or a simple triumph like walking in the woods. These things don't linger on except in our memories but they form a strong basis for how we percieve the world. Doesn't it all get lost in the shuffle of here and there unless we choose to believe that these small and simple things are what bring to pass the great?? I know that that's reality most of the time. When I choose to answer with a soft voice one time, rather than a yell, I choose one reality over another. I define what reality will exist in that moment. And that moment defines another and another. For beings, like us, who live a really short time in relation to everything else, moments should carry more weight. In the time frame of say, Jupiter, our moments take up a really large amount of our living space. On Jupiter, your defining moment could take like a whole year! It would seem that is what Hollywood would have us believe. Which by the way, I have all but given up completely on viewing entertainment. The kids at school all want to know what happened on all these shows. I just think, "I want to live it! Be it! Do it!" Why do we need to watch the lives of other people unfold? Is the reality we are living really so pathetic that the drama of adultery and backstabbing is more desirable than our drab lives? I just don't get it. In fact, if I want real drama all I have to do is give my kids some swords and sit on the couch and watch them in the back yard. That's all the time I have and that's what makes for an interesting scene of fighting and betrayal and forgiveness. It doesn't have to be all about sex, you know.

No comments: