

I have discovered that despite my inherent granolaness that I do love dressing up and bows and pretty dresses. It was really fun to dress up my kids for today. We managed to have Jared and Ayla match but I couldn't find what I wanted for Wesley so he went surfer style. Dave wore his purple panda tie and I managed a lavender jacket. The purple tie was a really huge step for my son. He has been saying over and over that purple is for girls and that he will not be caught dead in a purple tie. It is a great color on him actually. Wesley just pleased everyone with his smile. He was walking down the hall at church and saw a young woman with an easter basket. He had to stop and tell her that he had one but that his daddy had put it up high. It was precious. Ayla has been feeling quite the diva and has been dancing to Handel's Messiah in her lovely dress. She really likes the girly type things. I know somewhere in my brain my mother made repeated attempts to teach me these things. Where is that file?
I'm swamped with homework and am currently trying to understand the finer details of Shakespear's King Lear. I really enjoy Shakespear and find his insight into human nature fascinating. I feel that way about John Donne too who I am writing a research paper about. I can really identify with his work. It is very raw and real and there is no beating around the bush, but there is enough symbolism that you have to think and ponder. One of my favorite quotes is by C.S. Lewis who said "The truer the art the more things it means." I find this to be a guidepost as to what is really good. Can anyone derive meaning from the artwork? Is it accessible on many levels or just one? The reason that depth is so important in art is because there are those who may be only scratching the surface of a particular issue and those who are far beyond the mark who need to seek for meaning. The ageless priniples never fail to be a part of our human framework. Love is absolutely timeless and has an infinite number of fascets. One of the things I love about literature is that the words give you freedom to form your own picture based on your experience. Each work is unique to the reader because of what they bring to the table. Visual art is its own reward, my grandmother says it is "eye candy" This is true too, and really really good art can give you a lot to thing about. But literature is endless in its interpretation and meaning. I'm excited to be studying these treasures. They open up world's of thought and understanding into many different areas.

No comments:
Post a Comment