It really is true that the last kid has no pictures of their growing up years. I not only didn't take a single picture of my sweet baby this Christmas, I didn't take any, of anyone! In fact, I'm not entirely sure where my camera is. So, I will try to get that back under control.
That being said, we had a very nice week. Christmas Eve was spent doing some crazy last minute shopping. Jared (aka Edison) told us a few weeks ago that all he wanted was a Game Boy Advance. This, he said, was the only thing, the ONLY thing, he wanted. So we decided to check it out. We spent all day on Monday combing the stores for a Game Boy Advance. We even decided at one point to try to get a DS but since we waited until the last minute, they were gone. On our way to see Alvin and the Chipmunks, we saw one last GameStop and slammed on the brakes. They had one there and we were able to give him the one thing he wanted. I don't know exactly why that is so satisfying as a parent. I have some issues with game systems in general and have been fighting with my son (and his father) to get them to do anything else. But I feel a sense of accomplishment when they get something that is special to them. In any case, everyone got things they enjoy. I got an ipod case to wear on my arm while I work out. I'm so excited about it. I love to go out running in the mornings and listen to music. It's so peaceful.
We headed to my parent's house on Christmas Day and had such a wonderful time. I have been blessed so richly in my family. I so enjoy my brother and sister who were there. They are so smart and fun and beautiful and spiritually strong and awesome and cool and talented and compassionate and loving. I look up to them in many ways, they are a good example to me. My kids love them too and had such a good time with Grandma and Grandpa and their aunt and uncle. We watched Pursuit of Happyness, which was an awesome movie. It is really inspiring. Then on Thursday we headed over to Erin's to hang with her crew. My kids and her kids played outside together for like 4 or 5 hours. The neighbor kids were out and they had a blast! It made me long for kids that my children could play with like that. They had such a good time.
That evening we met some of our oldest friends at McDonald's. Jen and Andrea have been around as long as I can remember. They are a part of nearly every memory I have of my kindergarten and 1st grade years. We spent so much time with them back then and have tried to stay in touch since we have grown. It is hard though. Jennifer is in law school, Andrea is having her fourth child, I have four kids, Erin works and has kids. We are all so busy and it is so hard to maintain those connections. But I'm so grateful that we can all get together after years and years and be so comfortable with each other. It felt like we were kids again in a way. They are so fun to be around. We had so much fun we were at the play place for nearly two hours. That might be a record for me.
We spent the day Friday playing with Katherine and Caroline. They once again were outside nearly the entire day. Everyone had so much fun together! I want my kids to have the stability of an extended family. I hope they love their aunts, uncles and cousins as much as I do. We went over to Juli's on our way home. Unfortunatly, Cassidy was not there and I was sad that we didn't get to spend time with her. Maddox, however, is quite the entertainer and had us laughing. Juli gave me some baby plants to take home, and I'm trying very hard not to kill them. Her plants look great and I love what she's done with her yard and her house.
Yesterday we shopped, cleaned and generally tried to recover from the long week. As much as we enjoyed our visits, we were so glad to be home in our own beds. I am just really grateful for my family and the way that they love my husband and my kids. It doesn't have to be this way. There are families all over the place that don't speak to each other. My parents have fast become my best friends as I've become an adult. My siblings are so dear to my heart and I love watching them grow and become. This is the way it should be. The way Heavenly Father intended for us to spend mortality.....as a family.
3 comments:
We loved having you so much! Katherine is asking if you are coming January third or fourth? We love you!
We are glad you had a great Christmas. We really did miss all of you, it is just not the same when you do not get to see all of your family. Thank you for such great gifts. Peyton loves her quiet book! I will definately get a lot of us out of my gifts. The other day the low was 16 degrees here.
It was so fun to see you and Erin and have the four of us and all the kids together. It's always good to see you and connect my present self with my past self (and yours)!
Post a Comment