Sunday, January 20, 2008

Blessings

Its funny how much things can go horribly wrong and still be wonderful at the same time. This last week of "the first week of school" did not go at all how I imagined it. It was better and worse then the scenarios I had come up with. First off, I have made friends! This may not seem like an earth shattering thing to some but it is for me. There are several familiar faces in each of my classes and the feeling of not being alone is....precious. This was one of the good unexpecteds. Other good news. I love my classes. I love Shakespeare in all his wisdom, wit and mystery. My class is well organized and difficult (excellent in other words). My french teacher is from Glasgow. Go figure. She is cute, funny, patient and well informed. I enjoy her teaching style and have found I remember a lot more than I thought I would, so its pretty much all fun. Analysis is my other class and the students are vested in the material, make pertinent comments, the instructor is intelligent and humble (and has a one month old baby, gotta love that). I have kind of worked out a way for me to excercise at the gym on campus and am listening to Dave Ramsey everyday on the way home from school.

Now for the glitches. Dave went out of town last week on Wed and Thurs. This was a bummer and a half since he's supposed to be my childcare. I managed to lock on one of the most wonderful people in the world to take care of my kids. She is delightful in every way and I love her! So that ended up not being as bad as I anticipated. On Friday my kids were out of school (once again dread). Dave had to run the show for all four kiddos instead of just one. When I left for school that morning I had my doubts but he just succeeds in being amazing every time. When I got home everyone was happy, he managed to get some work done and the house wasn't on fire. Another bad expectation brought down. Next, Fri afternoon Abby started running a fever. She looked terrible and its been going on now for three days. I got no sleep last night and am running on fumes. I spent the better part of the morning with a stubborn attitude determined not to allow the spirit of the Sabbath to influence my cranky, sleep deprived, pity party. Dave went to church for the first hour and then came and relieved me and I went in for the second two hours. Once again, the beauty of the spirit softened me, changed my expectations and allowed me to feel at peace. Relief Sociey has this effect of being able to wrap loving arms around a weary soul. The room is filled with women (young and old) and the talk is uplifting and real. We talked about Joseph Smith and his first vision. I'm in awe that the God of all the universe would descend to answer the prayer of a 14 year old boy. We talked about how the Lord answers even the simplest prayers and that any person may ask in faith and recieve. I felt so light, my burdens so small. When I got home Abby looked worse when she woke up and wouldn't eat. We called in some home teacher help and were able to have her recieve a priesthood blessing. I'm so honored that they would come within an hour of my call to bless our sick baby. It fills my heart and I will go to bed tonight with shattered expectations and a peaceful spirit.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Mimi-

I am sorry to hear Abby is sick. Sick kids scare me. I just cannot handle not being able to make them better. I need to be in control, I guess. I am glad to hear that school went well. Sunday is the best for rejuvenating us when the week takes everything out of us. I hope Abby feels better soon. We love you! I think it is amazing that you are going to school with four kids, that is a great accomplishement!

Jenn Kirk said...

Wow, full-time mom and student. I'm impressed. But I'm sure it's so wonderful for you to have a creative outlet and time to yourself.

I hope Abby gets well soon and that it's nothing serious.