These are some of my most favorite people in the world. I got to visit with them last weekend for a relaxing and renewing mini-vacation. Stine, see, she decided she had to move away and this made me sad. I didn't realize how sad until she was gone and I missed my friend. She was the one I could call on the spur of the moment to go swimming, or to the zoo or just to hang out. We spent a lot of time at parks talking and talking while our kids wore themselves out. She is one of the most peaceful people I have ever known. When she is like super angry or frustrated, she still smiles. She is a good example to me of so many things. We were visiting teaching companions and one time we pulled up in front of the house we were to visit. She said, "Let's just say a prayer." In the street! I had never done that before but it was important and she made sure we did. She also lets me talk way too much and always acts like its entertaining and that she wouldn't rather be doing something way more productive. She justs lets people be. She loves them and it is a strong and unobtrusive love. She is a great mom and she takes a lot of time to snuggle her boys and give them the attention they need. I know it can be hard on her because she will go without sleep but she does it, with very little complaining.
So, my visit. I rode the train. First of all, let me say, it was AWESOME! Some trains take way too long and are always late, blah, blah. But the train to OK was so comfy and the view so pretty and I read a book for 4 hours straight on the way there and on the way home. How often does a person get 8 hours of uninterrupted reading time!? It was fabulous. Stine picked me up at the train station and took me on a late night tour of the city. I was so surprised. I had some ridiculous notion that Oklahoma looked like Auntie Em's farm in The Wizard of Oz. It doesn't. Downtown Oklahoma City is so pretty and well designed. We took a walk around the trails there and she showed me the larger than life statues of the Land Run and told me a little about Oklahoma history. See, I grew up in Texas where the only thing you learned about the outside world (meaning the rest of the US) is that there was a president but he didn't belong just to us :) I didn't know much about any other state's history. I loved hearing the background of the place. It made it more real and more grounded. I also got to see some of my friend's history which was cool since I had only known her in Texas.
On Friday we went to the zoo. We figured it would be a good place to take the boys and we could be outside. The weather was absolutely perfect! We wandered around for a couple of hours and played and talked and followed footprints. I was feeling mighty silly, being away from all of your responsibility can do that to you. We had stayed up pretty late the night before so we were worn out when we got home. I remember falling asleep on the couch and horsing around with Lincoln, but for the most part we were just zombied out.

That afternoon we headed to the temple. Its only ten or so minutes away. I was so nice to be there. It had been a while and I was grateful to be there in the peace of the spirit with my dearest friend.

Saturday was a beautiful day and we headed to the local nature center for a hike. The trails are great! It was so good for me to walk in nature, to be with friends, and to not have to carry anyone. I love to be outdoors. I struggle with it because as a mom...well its hard. Hard to clean up after everyone, hard to carry a baby who can't walk yet. I don't get to just enjoy being there. This was very rejuvenating for me. I climbed up this tree a little. It was the best climbing tree, however, unbeknownst to me I am no longer 11 years old, nor to I have an 11 year old body. It is a lot harder than I remember. Getting back into shape to climb a tree.....now that's a goal I can do!
I don't know why but I really like this picture. You would think I wouldn't. I'm leaving my sweet friend, a good getaway weekend...I don't know. I think its just a really well taken photograph. I had a great time. Jeff and Stine are some of the most hospitable people I've ever met. I felt like I was at a bed and breakfast half the time. Jeff cooked for us and helped out a lot so we could spend time together. Thanks Jeff! I missed my family though (that's a good thing right?). I was glad to kiss my kids and my hubby and go back to making dinner and moving laundry. That's what a vacation should do though. It should help you to appreciate what you leave behind. I just wish Stine was part of the leaving. Love ya Stine! Thanks for having me.




2 comments:
I also LOVE the last pic and I also can't really explain why. I loved hearing about the trip. I can't wait for a get-a-way like that eventually. You definitely deserved it!
Thank you for your sweet post... and for such a fun time. You are the best! I found myself having the same feelings about the picture of you getting on the train. I liked it so much, despite the fact that it was sad to see you go. There is something romantic about trains, isn't there? Please come back soon.
Stine
Post a Comment