Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Operation Graduation



So, this is my baby sister. Yes, baby. She has fourteen years on me. She's a whole entity of family that I didn't even really know when she was little. By the time she came along, I was moving on. One of my deepest regrets about being a hoodlum when I was a teenager is that I missed this precious time of her growing up. I didn't get an opportunity to make memories with her or be a part of the good things in her life. I sang at her baptism. I think that is the only significant event I was a part of all her growing up and now....she's headed away. What is the most regretful is what an amazing person I have missed out on. She is confident, quiet and kind. She doesn't seem to take people for granted and has made good friends that she appreciates. I'm on the outside, watching her be a part of a dance team, a part of young women's, a part of a different family than I was a part of. I'm so in awe of this. That she can be like me, look like me, share the same traditions and holidays and family members and still be so different. I hope she can come to value me as a friend and big sister. One that I couldn't be for her when she was younger. I hope she finds joy in the struggle she will face, going away from home and doing many new things. I hope she finds peace in the gospel and that she has many opportunities to grow her testimony.


This last weekend the boys and I had the privlege of driving down to participate in Jessi's graduation. We headed down on Thursday for her recital. That was really the part I wanted to see. She is a beautiful dancer with so much personality on the stage. Her form is very controlled and while not professional yet, excellent. I thought she even performed better than her teacher, but I might be a little biased. Wesley actually enjoyed the show and on Saturday night asked if we were going back for the "recycle." He was a good sport for the dancing and even for the midnight run to IHOP which ended up being a very long process. It was so much fun just hanging with my fam though. I don't get time to just be in their presence without having to fuss over all my kids. Having the boys was great company but not too overwhelming and I really enjoyed the visit.



We headed to the beach on Friday morning. We all slept in, chilled out. I drove and drove thinking that Jessi or Mom knew where we were going. Finally, we pulled over at a dirt drive and parked ourselves on the beach. The beach was very seaweedy. I had my doubts at first but it ended up being really peaceful and fun.

Wesley has been afraid of swimming since we have gone a couple of times. The beach, however, was so exciting to him. He would run toward the water without even waiting for me. He wasn't bothered when he got knocked by a wave and would just say he needed a break and ask me to hold him. Jared, of course, is a total water bug. He tried to wave surf and thought going out far to scare me was fun. Jessi and Mom sunned on the beach and we had a really nice day. I did forget to put sunscreen on my back and ended up with some very uncomfortable blisters that now itch. But it was worth it.


Juli and her fam came up on Friday and we spent Saturday together. They were so fun! Maddox is a cutie pie and had a rolling. We went to a park on Sat with Mom and watched them play in the geysers. We thought the water would be the main attraction but the kids wanted to swing and slide. We went to graduation and got to see Jessi walk across the stage. It was actually kind of lame. I hate to say that. I know the ceremony is important and it isn't right if you don't have some kind of mark to say you are finished but it was two hours of chasing toddlers. We all got caught in this horrible sea of people afterward and didn't even really get to see Jessi but for long enough to take the picture above.
I went to church with Mom and Dad on Sunday and bore my testimony. It was a really great meeting and the spirit was strong. The drive home was great for the most part because Wesley took a nap and Jared and I had Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo to keep us company. So we survived the trip but I missed my hubby and my girls. They had a good time with Dad. Glad to be home and trying to adjust to a summer routine, whew that's a big proposition.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Nothing like happy, simple moments with your family.
You have a darling sister--she does take after you!

The Gallands said...

Yes- Jessi is beautiful! I share a lot of those sentiments...unfortuantly I just got to see the lame part and didn't even get to hang with her. What a bummer! You guys had a LOT more fun than we did :)