So, to continue on with my philosophical musings on the correlation between adversity and joy. I feel that the key component between these two ideals is HOPE. It is the power that hinges the two seemingly opposite forces together. I've been thinking a great deal about time I spent in the Arizona wilderness when I was 15 (a more explanatory post to follow). It was 16 years ago this month that I made that journey. There were so many times in those years of heartache and suffering (my own and others) that hope was the only thing that linked that trauma to goodness. My parents (bless them) are such a great examples to me of that. Not only did they dream and hope and wish for me to have a great life but they continued to have one themselves. Now, they are vacationing together, spending time in the temple together and serving together. In so many ways that I couldn't imagine that long decade ago. Sometimes, in the midst of trials, we forget that life can be good, can be beautiful.
But IT IS.
And IT WILL BE.
With school on the pause button I've had more time for reflection and I have decided that hope is the power that will get through to graduation. Seeing myself there. Seeing my family cheering for me. Seeing my husband be at my side. There are so many obstacles to that one event swirling around in my brain. So many worries and insecurities. Looking forward can be a disaster without hope. I watched the women's team gymnastics this evening and Alicia Sacramore let that get in the way for her tonight. She made mistakes and it weighed her down and distracted her. It seemed difficult for her to recover. I felt so much empathy for her. There was a time in my life that set backs like those would have caused me to give up. But I look back on the last 3 years and see what I have overcome and accomplished and I realize that failure is just fuel to try again. Hope (and of course the Atonement) makes up for those failures. We can all "press forward...with a perfect brightness of hope...and endure to the end" (2 Nephi 31:20). In fact, the Atonement is ALL about hope. It is what gives us a reason to be steadfast and to press forward. At least, it does for me. The future doesn't have to be so uncertain. We can have faith which Alma says is the "hope for things which are not seen, which are true" (Alma 32:21).
3 comments:
We love you. Part of our peace today comes from your example and knowing that our wonderful children will be all right. Mom has taught me to have faith and look at life's glass as half full rather than half empty.
You are so intropectful. I love reading your musings and thoughts. Very wise.
okay,i'm an idiot! i meant to say introspective. don't know what i was thinking!
Post a Comment