Is anyone else completely enamored with the Olympics? I am overrun that I cry when the national anthems are being played at the medal ceremonies (even when they are not American), I cry at the finish of the races for those who competed well but didn't place a medal, I cry at the unbelieveable stories of men and women who sacrifice so much just to do something the very best in the world. I am amazed at the agility and beauty of the human body and mind. It is an absolute miracle, in every sense of the word. One of the best examples is the look on Micheal Phelps's face when his teammate touched the wall just 8 hundredths of a second before the French competitor. Joy is extremely powerful when it is accompanied by adversity. You cannot buy that with any kind of currency on earth, except sheer hard work.
One of my favorite movie scenes ever is this one from The Pursuit of Happiness. Will Smith is amazing but the reason the story, the movie and the principle works is because of what he had to go through to get there. Some people have it. Others, like me, are inspired by them. Inspired to be the best that I can be at whatever my job is. I will not ever be an Olympic athelete. In fact, I will probably not ever win an award of any kind that is celebrated by the nation. Still, I am inspired to be the best human being I can in my corner of earth. Best mom, friend,sister, wife. I may not win medals or acclaim but I will and do have joy as I work for, sacrifice for and love others. It is the greatest gift of the example of Jesus Christ. Imagine the depth of His joy when He sees the incredibly, impossible work of His life come to fruition.
No comments:
Post a Comment