Sunday, November 29, 2009

Too rare

Weekends like this last one seem to be so rare in my life these days. Its a shame because they really make like so sweet. My parents arrived on Wed evening and helped with the cooking and preparing of our Thanksgiving feast. Wesley was so excited about it all day, "we're having a feast" he kept saying. Then he didn't really eat any of it. In fact, dinner lasted about 15 minutes. Abby has a very short attention span and was up running around pretty quick. We all just kinda sat there for a minute like, "that was really anti-climactic" It didn't spoil the mood but it made me think about how much emphasis we put on food. The fun was in the time we spent at the park, on walks, playing games and talking. I'm not one to get all that excited about just eating. I'm glad we did other things.

Friday mom and I went out shopping. It is one of my favorite times of the year. I usually get to do Black Friday with her, without the kids. We get to spend time talking and discussing what people like, what they need and what we will do for them. I love to have an opportunity to share in the role with her, as the mom, and to be a part of helping our family members from far off to feel loved. My mom is one of the most amazing people I know. She has to juggle so many needs and minister to so many people. From her own seven children and ever increasing brood of grandbabies, to the sisters in her ward who she presides over, to her own siblings and mother. She has a generous heart that blesses the lives of all who have the privilege to be loved by her. I'm so grateful for her example. She teaches me constantly about how to be a better mother, wife and friend.

Saturday I spent the day at the temple with my parents. It was such a sweet experience. I don't often have the opportunity to have a man there with me and it was such a blessing to have my dad. He, too, has been a great example. He has a wonderful testimony of temple work and the power to seal families together. He leads our family with humility and with love. I'm grateful that I can ask him questions and that he is patient with my weaknesses. He is gentle and firm with my kids and I appreciate the priesthood spirit that he brings.

Through the whole weekend, Dave was so patient with my running off to be with my parents. He seemed to be able to relax and enjoy the kids. I'm grateful for his partnership. In the years we've been together I often find myself I awe that we have survived the trials that we have faced. But I'm starting to believe that it is those trials that have made it possible for us to survive. He has been such an anchor to help me through this journey of school and been a grounding influence when things often go to the wind. He helps me to feel confident in my talents, lifts me up when I am down and generally makes my life a better one.

And finally, I'm so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. Without it these relationships with my family would be more sour, more of a burden and full of resentment. I could not have the forgiveness in my life, given or received, without the healing power of the Atonement. It is through the scriptures that I have so richly gained that Spirit. I know that I would be nothing without that guiding influence. What a good and powerful God who loves his children so much to give them prophets and scriptures and other testaments of His awareness of us and our needs. This is the most supreme gift in my life and it is a privilege to work for it.

5 comments:

Jeff and Janet Kirk said...

We love you. Thanks for having us. We really enjoyed being with you, Dave, and the kids.

kirsten said...

sounds wonderful!!!

The Gallands said...

I love you and yours and am so thankful for you- and I second that about our wonderful parents.How lucky are we?

Mandi said...

Your words always uplift Mimi, and for that I am grateful. Even if I don't always comment to let you know. We missed all of our families on Thanksgiving, glad yours was so enjoyable.

MuralMama said...

Awesome, Mimi. Just like you. I'm so glad you and your parents now have the relationship that you do;that's pretty amazing & miraculous in itself.