Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Ins and Outs, Ups and Downs

I was looking back over my last post in November and feeling grateful that I have a blog. What do you say? But I never post. Oh yes. I recently forgot that I had a blog and am endeavoring to remedy the situation of never posting. Rest assured you will get another post in no less than one month. This will be partly due to my traveling to the North African country of Tunisia. I am hoping I will have access to a computer to post while I'm there but it will be hit or miss unless there is a lovely internet cafe right next door to my hotel.

So here's the recap of the last six or so months. Christmas was fabulous. Jan and Feb were really difficult and dark but spring arrived and I felt better. I had a weird infection that beseiged my immune system in March but antibiotics and sunshine took care of that. I went to Missouri, read a paper and won a $1000 scholarship (Go me!) and my poor little family have just been dragged along for the ride. Ok, so now that you're caught up I'll get to the present.

On Sunday night I went to Institute Graduation. I have since learned through my years of schooling that one should never, ever, ever miss an opportunity to be honored for hard work. So despite my children, having to sit for basically two sessions of churchy quiet time I am so glad I went. Our institute director is fantastic. He is loud and proud and talented. He has a strong testimony and I love his faith. He talked about how we cannot be saved in ignorance. How knowledge is a key to our etermal life. Without it, we cannot know Jesus is the Christ, we cannot understand the plan of salvation or the Lord's love for us. The more we gain in knowledge the greater capacity our love for others and for Christ. I feel so blessed to have had an institute right by my buildings. I have found so much peace there in studying the scriptures, singing hymns and feeling the spirit. Secular knowledge is fairly worthless from an eternal perspective, unless it is coupled with the doctrine of Christ.

I am winding down for the Spring term. Can I just say, this has sucked. It has been such a difficult year. Graduate school is in many ways exactly as I expected, demanding and thought provoking. However, I have taken on so many additional responsibilities that I overextended myself. Honestly, I'm glad I did (I tend to get into trouble when I don't have enough to do) but it has been hard. Looking back now, while I'm on the home stretch its cool to see that I've accomplished so much. You know the batter when they are rounding home plate, they shouldn't look behind them cause it slows them down before they get to home base but in my case I need to see the distance I've traveled in order to finish. Its encouraging to know I can write a long paper. I can do research. I have skills. And we all know guys like girls who have great skills.

In other news, I'm getting a camera for Mother's Day so pictures might return to the blog and I got a memory foam mattress for our bed. Haven't quite decided about it yet.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Tunisia? Whatcha doing there?

kirsten said...

happy to see an update! sounds like so many good things happening - go mimi!

Sharee said...

I must admit that just this morning (or yesterday morning - what can I say, my days just blend together these days...) I thought, "Now, what the heck has Mimi been up to? There have not been any posts!" I must say I was happy to see one when I got back from the gym this afternoon. Congrats on how far you have come, good luck as you finish out the home stretch. Tell Dave his is AMAZING! I am proud of you! (The good kind of proud... you know...) Oh, and I can't wait to get more details about AFRICA - what in the world???

RACHEL said...

I'm so glad to see an update!! and especially to know you have good skills =) I love love love you. I'm in a writing about the arts and humanities class and I will definitely need your expertise and words of wisdom, you rock.

MuralMama said...

Hang in there, you AWESOME woman!