Friday, February 18, 2011

Weakness becomes strength

I've been sick. Miserable sick. I've been sleeping for the last two days. Not only did everything come to a halt for snow, now I feel I am at a standstill again for the sick. And I'm grumpy about it.

What I've been thinking about is how weakness, physical or otherwise, can often cause you to question everything. I'm so tired and I feel so worn that I'm questioning my life. Do I want to be a career academic? Do I have anything worthwhile to say as a writer? Can I go back to being a stay at home mom and be happy with that? Is that the right thing to do? I find myself asking questions all day because I can't really get out of bed.

So, then I wonder, how valuable is weakness? Isn't it a blessing sometimes to have to stop and examine our lives? To have the ability to just be still for a few moments (or days) and listen to the beat of your heart and breathe. I feel grateful right now that I've had to just be still and care for my body. In the process, I think perhaps it will rest my spirit. And when the dust clears I will be refreshed.

3 comments:

Stine said...

Sorry you're sick. I just clicked on your blog out of my reader to leave a comment. You changed your bkgrd and the header color doesn't match anymore. Do you want me to change it?

Love you. You're doin' fine.

Stine

MuralMama said...

I love you, Mimi. You are a source of strength for me & I'm sure what ever you decide will be the right thing for that moment.

Unknown said...

Stine, that's funny that you said that cause I think it matches really nicely :) I like it. You don't have to make something new for me.