Sunday, March 13, 2011

The adventure

I spent a lot of my younger years day dreaming of grand adventures. When I was about 10 I wanted to be a Goonie and look for treasure. When I was 15 I thought I would hitchhike to California and see the ocean. I also believed that when I married a Marine that we would travel to exotic foreign lands and I would finally get to see the world I had been dreaming about. I wrote often in my journal of all the places I wished I could go. And I did have some adventures. I lived in the Arizona wilderness for 42 days. I did hitchhike even if I didn't make it to CA.

Tonight as I was tucking Wesley in he began to explain to me that he loves me the most. Its our ritual. We toss back and forth how we love the most and I always win because I'm bigger. Tonight I elaborated. I said that when Heavenly Father sends a spirit to a mommy's tummy he also gives her super heart powers. He makes her heart grow so she can love the most. "Really?" was his reply. He actually believed me. His sweet face pressed against my cheek as he put his arm around me. "Well, I still love you the most," he said. I thought staying at home would be boring or that I could find happiness elsewhere. But, oh boy, was I wrong. Being a mom has been the greatest adventure of my life. The grandest most infinitely important thing I have ever aspired to or tried to do has been to stay here and watch my children grow.

1 comment:

Hindmarsh Family said...

My Ethan and I always say, "I love you to the moon and back". He always tries to get bigger and better. I agree, being a mom is a great adventure, even if I still daydream about running away sometimes!