
At this moment, my sister is headed for a c-section for the birth of her third child. I've been thinking about her all day. Wishing I could be there. Wishing I could celebrate with her. I'll be there tomorrow but it just isn't the same. I hadn't even planned to go. She has plenty of support, another sister, mother, mother-in-law, husband, friends. She doesn't even really need me. Except that for these kinds of things we all need each other. When a baby comes into the world, it is a blessing for that child to be surrounded by all of the people in his life that will love him and teach him and be there for him. I want to be a part of that. Erin has been with me since the beginning. Every step she takes that grows her a bit grows me too. Now as my younger siblings have grown up I find that I want so much to be a part of their growings too. Because I am the oldest I missed a lot. Because I was rebellious I missed even more. These days I long for the freedom to jump on a plane or even the time to just to hear their voices. The power of those bonds gets stronger as I get older. I realize how much our DNA is connected to those we share a genealogy with. I'm so glad those bonds can last forever. How could they not? This life is not enough time.
5 comments:
You are a wonderful sister. I love you =)
Tender thoughts and awesome rainbow suspenders.
(so glad you get to go!)
Will you be my big sister, too (does it matter that I'm older than you?)
That picture from our kitchen in Anchorage is one of my favorites. You girls were always special together.
I wouldn't be the same without you. I'm thankful everyday I have you, and that my kids have you.
Post a Comment