Monday, September 17, 2007

Sweet Abigail

This baby loves her mouth. She wants something in it all the time. I have never had such an oral child. She has figured out that her hands are something she can control, although for what purpose (other than putting them in her mouth) is a mystery. She got hit in the head with a football this last Saturday. I was a little bit in shock at first that my little baby had had such a trama to that tiny head. Then I got scared. I talked to a nurse friend of mine and she told me what to watch for. On the way home from the social, I began to feel terror well up and the worry and wonder if she was going to be ok. I said a prayer, I asked for peace, for the spirit, for guidance. By the time we got home (like 5 mintues) I felt very peaceful. I knew she was ok by looking at her. She slept, ate, and acted normal all day yesterday and today. It seems that she is no worse off than before. I had to confront some feelings though that I have thought hard about since. My children, myself, my husband etc. are mortal. This may not come as a shock to some of you out there but it has to me. After losing Grandpa Jim, I have felt more aware of death, injury and illness. After having that panic of losing Abby it is even more so. I am not so much afraid of death or the adversity of illness as I am of the discomfort of those things. Suffering is not something we are wired to seek, yet it is a part of all of our lives. Why are we unable to welcome it. To appreciate the bad and the good. I find myself often thinking about the worst times thus far in my life as such blessings. But during the experience find it difficult to reconcile. I think when we welcome the trial or suffering we open ourselves to other things such as comfort and peace. Peace isn't the absence of suffering but the acceptance of it.
Abby was smiling for this picture but I couldn't get it right. Dave is so wonderful with her. He comes home and wants to take her from me. He misses her when he's at work. At the social we went to on Saturday, many people commented on what a fantastic dad he is. They are right! He is so commited to our family. He really has worked hard to be a good father and husband. I can be critical of him but when I hear other's praise I realize how blessed I am. He is so supportive of my schooling, despite the fact that having the four kids has been hard for him. He will play dollhouse, dinosaurs, gamecube and many other pretend things. Tonight he sat on the couch with Jared and Ayla and read a story from the Friend and did one of the activities. I mean, seriously, how did I get this guy? I so don't deserve this, but I'm so grateful I have it.

2 comments:

The Gallands said...

She is getting too big too fast!

Mandi said...

She has gotten so big, so fast. Time flies when you do not see them everyday. Peyton still loves to put everything in her mouth. When do they grow out of this stage???