I'm supposed to be working on a poem and I have serious writer's block. I've decided that part of the problem is that I'm overworked and my brain just doesn't function like it does when I have down time, quiet time. But I realized today that I miss....stillness. Time to commune with God. I guess, that is a similar theme as my last post but its something I crave everyday. To have just stillness, quiet thoughts. I think that my spirit has always had this desire to have time to ponder and dream. My husband has probably thought often that he was married to a "visionary" woman. I think all the time but it doesn't come like it used to. Lately I have been thinking about how much I need yoga to breathe. I know I don't breathe well. Our breath is one of the most life giving powers we possess and we spend so little time consciously thinking about it. When we breathe consciously we fill out bodies with elements that are essential to our survival. I also believe that we give life to our spirits. That there are elements we cannot see but we feel, we partake of them each day. When we are shut up in our homes with very little fresh air our spirits cannot get the nutrients we need. I love to be outside at night. I feel very at home in the night air. When I was a little girl I would sneak out at night and just walk in my neighborhood. As a parent, I can't believe I would do this and that I never was harmed. I remember so many times just walking, feeling and breathing. It was a time when I could be alone, when I could hear my own heart. There is an uncoiling of the soul when you take time to feel the breath, this is the breath of life and it is inexplicably connected to God. We breathe in the universe and breathe out a piece of ourselves back into it. There is an exchange of blessing. Each life force giving life to itself. I feel the most calm and alive when I am alone, immersed in music. My favorite essay I've read this semester has this to say about creating:
" We write...for the same reason we read or look at paintings or listen to music: for teh total immersion of the experience, the narrowing and intensification of focus to the right here, right now, the deep joy of bringing the entire soul to bear upon a single act of concentration. It is self-forgetful even if you are writing about the self, because you yourself have disappeared into the pleasure of making; your identity - the incessant, transient, noisy New York Stock Exchange of desires and commitments, ambitions, hopes, hates, appetites, and interests - has been obliterated by the rapture of complete attentiveness. IN that extended moment, opposites cohere; the mind feels and the heart thinks, and receptivity's a form of fierce activity."
Alan Shapiro, Why Write?
This experience is the thing I have searched for all of my life. This authentic, powerful concentration of divinity. Because at the heart of every human being is the source of our existence. This is what we touch on when we are true to the power within us to create. It is recorded in every aspect of our beings to increase. Even just existing is creating. Every moment that we breathe is a creation. We nuture our small lives and we think we don't matter but each breath is leading us to another, each time we send those tiny elements of ourselves out into the world we participate in creation. This is stillness, this is hope. This is the desire of my heart.
1 comment:
I think you just wrote a poem here. Do you have to write about a specific topic? If not, write about breathing and creating. You just did!
Love you. Wish you were here. -Stine
Post a Comment