Monday, June 09, 2008

How Gentle God's Commands

Its been one of those heinous days. Where everything has gone wrong. I had some weird flu this weekend, slept all day yesterday and awoke to mass chaos this morning. I started out good. I made omelettes determined to start off right, went to the gym (two miles today yeah!). Then it all went down hill from there. I had the missionaries coming for dinner at six, my midterm to take today before 5:30 in Denton and two babies with ridiculous nap issues and my big kids fighting. So, when Dave got home from work at 2 to relieve me so I could go take my test I was crying. I made it take my test and the wind blew my driver side door into another car leaving a doozy of a welt. I made an 89. When I got home from taking my test...I was crying. Not because of the grade, I'm fine with that, I'm just tired, tired of being in school, tired of having toddlers, tired of feeling like a hamster in a wheel getting really good excercise and going nowhere. I haven't had a whomping pity party for myself in a while so I figured today was a good day to have one. Funny thing.....seving the Elders lightened my load, then I read stories to my sweet three year old who is having a very hard time with whatever stage he is changing to. Then I had some quiet discussion time with my big kids, another burden lifted. Then I sat down at the piano (one of my favorite destressors) and this is what I played.

How gentle God's commands! How kind His precepts are!
Come cast your burdens on the Lord and trust his constant care.

Beneath His watchful eye, His saints securely dwell;
That hand which bears all nature up shall guard his children well.

Why should this anxious load press down your weary?
Haste to your Heav'nly Father's throne and sweet refreshment find.

His goodness stands approved, Unchanged from day to day;
I'll drop my burden at his feet and bear a song away.

What sweet words to my weary soul! How could I despair after that comforting song? I literally feel as though I could bear a song away. In the midst of the things that are more than I can do, He is there picking up after me. He truly has the sweet refreshment of living water. Have you ever noticed that the entire body of scriptural accounts are about deliverance? Deliverance from our own sins, from the sins of others, from suffering, even from exhaustion. I feel so grateful that my pity party can end in peace. As I sat at the piano I thought of all the times I had felt overwhelmed and not known that the sweet peace of the spirit and love of Jesus Christ can heal all things. My testimony of this grows more everyday and I feel so uplifted to know that with all the heart ache and suffering we are called to pass through, with all the trials and adversity of mortality "His goodness stands approved, Unchanged from day to day."

5 comments:

Stine said...

Thanks for this. I needed it today too. I needed your sweet reminder that ALL of our burdens can be lifted, not just sin and sickness, but anything that is bringing us down.

I have been in awe of late at how the Savior calls his burden light and his yoke easy... He who carried the burdens of us all.

Shaeleen Clark said...

I love how the savior has lifted you! I know that he can give us the peace we need if we seek it.. Thanks for sharing. It helps to lift my spirits as well.

Sharee said...

Good job on your mid-term! That is one CRAZY day! It sounds like you handled it perfectly though. Feel free to call me whenever you want a break to go to the pool = even if I can't come, I can always let you in. Talk to ya later!

The Gallands said...

I love it! Thank you for sharing~ you just made my day

Jeff and Janet Kirk said...

A tender mercy bestowed. Thanks for sharing, Sweetheart. This made my morning. I love you.