Saturday, May 08, 2010

Blogging as an excuse

So,I'm telling myself since I got some wonderful comments on the last post that ya'll want to read my blog. So I must update it. Rather than finish the cleaning in the living room that I started....or finish the novel that I'm trying to dig through for material on the seminar paper due Wed. that had better get started writing itself by george. I'm also procrastinating by dreaming of the Mediterranean. For those of you unfamiliar with Tunisia, here is a brief explanation of what I will be doing there.



This map shows where it is. On the North African coast. I will be staying the majority of the time in the capital of Tunis and a short 4 day trip to Sfax (where the hotel I'm told has a pool) for additional day trips. I am going with a group from the University for a Women's Study class. Tunisia is one of the most progressive Muslim countries in the area. Women have many rights that are not available to the much of the Arab world. We are going to study the history, architecture, politics, religion and literature of this little country that has enjoyed a great deal of stability since gaining their independence from France in the 1950's. I will see Roman ruins, visit with Berber women in the desert and while I am on my 4 day break meet with members of the church who are living there. My husband and ward are indeed awesome for supporting me so that I can go on this trip.

3 comments:

Jeff and Janet Kirk said...

I assume you already know this, but the ancient cite-state Carthage was in modern Tunisia. This city was founded by the Phoenicians (think Tyre and Sidon on the east coast of the Mediterranean). Tyre was sacked by Alexander the Great, and the center of Phoenician power shifted to Sidon, and then later to Carthage. Hannibal, who crossed to Alps to threaten Rome, was a Carthaginian. Carthage was destroyed by Rome in the third Punic war. I'm just envious that you get to visit this place that has connections with people who invented what has become the modern alphabet, Hannibal and his war elephants, ancient Rome, and conquering Islam. Amazing. I love you. Have a wonderful time.

The Gallands said...

I am amazed at your grown up self. Seems like I try to think we are still 8 and 10 and playing in the yard...and then you go and do something like travel to Africa. You are my heart! So thankful to share some of your blood.

kirsten said...

I've always been fascinated by the Dido/Elissa- founder and Queen of Carthage story - no wonder they have comparatively progressive ideas about women :-)

can't wait to see your pictures/read your impressions!